Dating and raising kids can be emotionally and logistically draining to a single mom. You are concerned about your kids’ reaction and how you should carry yourself around. However, this unfamiliar territory can be worthwhile when you step out of your comfort zone. Here are some things you should bear in mind as you incorporate a dating life into your single motherhood.
• Be Ready for Some Resistance – in the beginning, do not expect your kids to be ecstatic when you start dating. They are used to having you to themselves and not having to share you with anyone. As the circumstances change, have a sit down with them and acknowledge how they feel but explain you would also love to spend some time with your friends as they do with theirs.
• When On a Date, Focus on Your Companion – single moms tend to wrap their whole life around their kids. Ensure that the conversations on the date are not all about your kids. Create time to know more about your date, his work, hobbies and interest.
• Take it Slow – for a single mom; a new relationship can be refreshing, and it is easy to want it to develop quickly. However, it is essential to give yourself some to know your new mate well. It gives your kids an opportunity to get used to him and for him to know you as their mom.
• Parental duties Are Yours – Do not let your new partner take on parental responsibilities until it is logical. It would be weird for your new boyfriend to take your child to take up tasks such as disciplining your kids until he is a regular person in your life. It may cause your kids to resent him or hold a grudge.
• Your Kids Should Not Meet Every New Mate – it becomes uncomfortable for the kids when there are too many men taking their mom on dates. To avoid this, keep your dates private until the relationship gets serious. When it’s the right time for the children to meet your new mate, ensure the meeting place is elsewhere not at home.
• Acknowledge That You Are Entitled to Have a Life – as a single mom, almost everyone has an opinion as to whether it is okay for you to date or not. However, it is necessary to remember that you are the one in-charge of your life and the decisions you make. If you are ready to date, do not let other people’s views hinder you from doing it.
These are just a few tips. Interact with other single moms; you can get more advice from those who have been in your position.